Our second SlideWiki developers meeting took place September 26-29 in Leipzig, with 16 SlideWiki-developers from all over Europe attending.
Stand-up and status updates: Our first action was to update everyone on the latest improvements and events that happened the last two weeks. Ben and Klaas Andries organized a daily stand-up, as part of our scrum process, and then discussed a priority list of tasks that had to be tackled before the release of the first SlideWiki release candidate (RC1).
Less talk, more code: After the short 30 minutes introduction and planning sessions, we decided to immediately focus on specific issues, start to develop, and pair up to solve specific problems and tasks.
First student testing session: By Noon, we had our first semi public testing sessions involving studentsand research assistants from the university of Leipzig. Abi James leaded this session and gathered a good portion of early feedback.
Evening Tour and more decisions: After a full day of coding, testing, and QA, we decided early evening to have a break and start a small tour at the local autumn market festival of Leipzig, that happened to be very close to our hackathon location. We ended up in a local restaurant where we continued with some work – e.g. gather the availability of developers until December and voted for priorities of upcoming tasks.
Implementation: We’ve started into the next day like we spend most time of the first day: by teaming up and get some (implementation) work done. Unfortunately, it seemed like we were introducing more and more bugs as we finished more and more features.
Second student testing session: By Noon we had started our second semi-public testing sessions with students and research assistants. This session was even more productive because we had added features and fixed bugs that were discovered the day before. Again Abi gathered some valuable feedback.
First developers leaving: As our first developers were planned to leave at the end of Tuesday (that was the official end of the core hackathon), we did collaborative clean-up work on our project, discussed remaining issues, had a round of questions, and planned the next few days. The next two days were reserved for us to finish the release candidate and bring it up and running.
Days 3 and 4: : Ten developers were left and we were heading right onto a usable release candidate. In the previous two days we discovered several bugs, and introduced some while adding features, and we now focused on fixing these based on the feedback that Abi gathered. We also had time left to add several features that were planned and were nice-to-have in the release. We really got up to speed and had a good development workflow these days.
Release: In the end our release took place one week later than planned due to external dependencies (legal texts and good old discussion with the IT-department about hosting). Nevertheless, in the end it was good to have another week, because we were able to refine our features, UI, and platform even more, and improve our scripts to transfer content from the old SlideWiki system to our new release-candidate version.
In summary: We introduced and discovered new features and bugs during our Hackathon, got our hands dirty in order to push development and tidy up the system, and in the end made a huge step towards a working software release!
Looking forward to next time.
Your development team at SlideWiki.